Tuesday, March 11, 2014

PUPUSAS

Hey everyone!! I hope you're weekend was great. I am so excited to share what I made for dinner today! I made PUPUSAS! You seriously need try them if you haven't already. They're an amazing Salvadorian dish. You can go to a local Salvadorian restaurant, try their pupusas and them imagine them fifty times better when they're made at home. 



It's a mixture of "chicharrĂ³n" (ground pork), cheese, and re-fried black beans all inside a corn tortilla of sorts. It's typically served with a tomato salsa and pickled cabbage called "curtido". A side note: I didn't know pupusas are a finger food until I had my mother-in-law's pupusas for the first time. It can be messy when you add as much salsa as I do. So even if you feel like using a fork, DON'T. 

It takes several hours to cook the pork and beans.. Kevin blended all the beans into a smooth liquid. My brother Jonny, his girlfriend Claudia, and her brother Jose helped me re-fry the beans make the corn flour masa.

I made the curtido, salsa and finally the pupusas. It was a little tough trying to get the right amount, flattening, and cooking them, but I should get better with time. All the hours of prep work and cooking paid off. I felt super proud I was able to make them from scratch and have them turn out pretty great. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for comment!