Monday, September 14, 2015

OUR WEDDING

I'm so excited to finally share more details about our wedding. I shared photos a few weeks ago, but only just finished writing about it. After being together for four years, Kevin and I tied the knot. Anywhere else it wouldn't seem so bad, but by Utah's standards we were way over due. During the whole planning process I kept thinking we should have waited another year to be better prepared financially, but in the end I realized it didn't matter at all. And here begins an overload of photos from the course of our day.



We got married at St. Francis of Assisi at 10 am. We had originally planned for something in the afternoon, but a mix up with scheduling and coordinating meant all 15 year old quinceaneras ended up booking all of the Saturdays in July and August. (we got ahead of ourselves and booked the venue before confirming the ceremony). Luckily they opened another time slot and we took it.

That morning was probably the craziest part of the whole day. Miraculously we all finished getting ready by nine, but by then I was already starting to freak out. I didn't ever take more time to find a makeup artist or stylist. I had a limited budget and couldn't pay such a large fee for a trial run, so I just ran with it. It took me about 10 minutes to completely regret it (if I would have done my homework I probably would have found an artist and possibly one that offered a complimentary run through). It's so vain, but I really wanted to delay everything and do it all over. I have to thank my family for reassuring me and getting me out the door. My sister-in-law Claudia was a complete life saver in the make up department that day.



The limo dropped me off ten minutes late and I just ran in. I didn't have any time to go over the last few details. Kevin was waiting inside with his parents, the bridal party was outside the doors, and my dad was no where to be found. Before I knew it the doors opened and the processional started. I don't know why I didn't just wait, but I freaked out and just followed along. It was too crazy! The only thing that calmed me down was seeing Kevin at the altar. It was so peaceful seeing him that I forgot that the beginning of the ceremony was a complete train wreck.



The nuptial mass itself was perfect. Kevin and I were able to choose readings to incorporate. Julie the pastoral coordinator at St. Francis who had also been helping us since January read them. It was so nice that she was able to be a part of it too.





First Reading: Genesis 2: 8-24
Second Reading: Corinthians 12:31-13:8
Gospel Reading: Matthew 19:3-6



After the readings we exchanged vows.




Then we exchanged our rings.



Then there was the exchange of the arras. These are 13 gold coins that symbolize the pledge of the bride and groom to care for each other and the home they will build together. It's a tradition that is centuries old. The coins are presented to the couple by godparents. The coins are  blessed and the groom gives them to the bride who receives them and commits herself to working with her new husband before returning them back to the groom. Kevin's cousin and her husband were kind enough to be our godparents.

Their daughter Elianna was our flower girl.



The second and final tradition we added to the ceremony was the lazo. It is a large large rosary that loops over the bride and groom as a symbol of unity. Kevin's aunt and uncle were our godparents for the lazo.











Once the ceremony was over we greeted everyone, signed our marriage license, and took photos outside with friends and family.
















I left the guys' stuff to Kevin and it worked out perfectly. I'm still surprised how well the guys' shoes matched. My favorite was Kevin's bow tie.










My family.



Kevin's family.











































My mom, dad, and grandma having a good time as always.








We never officially decided to have a toast. Kevin and I had discussed it, but never talked over the details. I am so glad the bridal party was up for it.















As I was looking for decoration ideas on Pinterest I fell in love with the idea of having marquee letters. My dad has always been good with DIY and school projects so natural I asked him for his expertise. I love how they turned out and will probably hang them in our garage.
































After some dancing we did the dollar dance. I'm not sure if there's an actual name for it. Guests essentially pay to dance with you.










Kevin's cousin caught the bouquet. We did a redo for the garter and Kevin's friend caught it. We thought it was fitting the winner put the garner on the other.











We ended the night with some entertainment thanks to Kevin's cousin. He performed Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. Perfectly! It was amazing.



Photography: Maren Elizabeth Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for comment!